Notice of Proposed By-law Changes 30-Sept-16
The Dufferin Club of Brantford (DCOB) Board of Directors proposes revisions to the DCOB By-laws. Before making any by-law changes, the Board is required to provide the information about the changes to members at least 30 days in advance and in order to implement the proposed changes, the Board proposes to resolve to adopt the revised by-laws at the Annual General Meeting of the DCOB.
The purpose of the revisions are to:
- Comply with the upcoming Ontario Non-Profit Corporation Act;
- Support the agglomeration of the Tennis and Lawn Bowling Clubs into ‘One’ Dufferin Club; and, to
- Address declining membership numbers and volunteer base.
A complete copy of the proposed revisions are provided in paper copy in the clubhouse. An electronic version is also available here.
Language to be added to the by-laws is indicated in red text; language to be removed is indicated by
To be approved, the revisions require a two-thirds vote of the members who are present at the Annual General Meeting on Thursday, November 24 at 7 pm. The meeting is open to all members of the Dufferin Club.
Dufferin Club Championships
The Dufferin Tennis Singles Club Championships were played Sunday, August 14 after rain washed out play on Saturday. Twenty participants entered vying for the title of club champion. In the main draw, Ajay Sharma defeated Alex Bakker 6-4 7-5 (pictured below) to claim the title. In the consolation final, Manraj Brar outlasted Chris Mavromatis 6-7(6) 6-3 6-4. Thanks to everyone who participated. It was a great turnout with many competitive matches throughout the day!
The Doubles Club Championships were played the September 3-4 weekend. After rain washed out play on Saturday, seven teams took to the courts on Sunday and played a round round. The top four teams then played semi-finals and finals on Thursday, September 8. Lee Hendon and Ajay Sharma, who finished in top spot in the round robin, defeated Alex Bakker and Aldo Pignotta 6-3, 6-0 in the championship final. The consolation was won by Garry Horsnell and Rory Stubbs bested Paul Bakker and Cody Dennis 6-4, 6-4, despite losing to the pair in the round robin.
The final Club Champsionship events were played Sunday, September 11. In the Ladies Singles division, Avery Kettlewell finished the round robin in first with 4 wins. Terra Vansonte was second, followed by Betsy Karmiris, Alexis MacKinnon and Amelia Tavernese. Tommy Karmiris finished atop the Junior Open Singles round robin, followed by Jackson Adams and Louie Karmiris. Davis Antonowicz won the Boys Under 12 Singles Club Championship 6-2 over Andrew Yem while Bronwyn Vanstone won the Girls Under 12 Singles by defeating Tatyana Zebroski 6-1.
Racquets in to SMASH Cystic Fibrosis
The Dufferin Tennis Club hosted the second annual Racquets in to SMASH Cystic Fibrosis Charity Tennis Tournament on Saturday, July 9. The club smashed the goal of $2,000 raising a total of $2,103 from tournament proceeds and donations for Cystic Fibrosis Canada!
Thank you to all the players who came out in support of the tournament and everyone who fundraised and/or provided donations. Thank you to all the individuals and businesses who donated prizes for the participants, silent auction and/or food for lunch and snacks.
General Meeting and Vote
Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote in person or online on the potential management change of the Dufferin Club of Brantford.
All the votes have been verified and tabulated, with the following results:
YES 53% NO 47%
As such, the DCOB will not be asking the city to take over management of the club as of the 2017 fiscal year. Majority for the vote to pass was 66%.
The board will continue to work hard over the next year for the betterment of the club.
At this time, the Dufferin Club of Brantford (DCOB) operates under a Management Contract with the City of Brantford; the City owns the land and facilities and the DCOB manages the property and activities. The DCOB is an incorporated non-profit organization governed by a board of directors. The DCOB has two activity sub-committees, the Dufferin Lawn Bowling Club and the Dufferin Tennis Club. Under the current management agreement with the city, we run the programs, mow the greens, supervise the courts, collect the fees, maintain the premises, and deal with “wear and tear” issues.
Our current contract comes up for renewal in 2017 and a number of our members have wondered if we would be better off if the City, through the Parks Board, managed our property.
Subsequently, we have decided to ask all our members what they think.
Would you like us to ask the City of Brantford (Parks Board) take over the management of the Dufferin Club of Brantford as of the 2017 fiscal year?
The DCOB board has identified several pros and cons to having the City manage this facility.
- We would not have to mow and take care of the greens.
- We would likely not have to hire staff for tennis.
- We would avoid the problems we have now in getting volunteers for our executives and for doing manual work around the site.
- We would not have to keep financial records, have bank accounts, audits, etc.
- We would not have to clean the clubhouse and courts.
- We could concentrate on organizing the actual play and the tournaments.
- Giving the City complete control of the facility could mean that the City assumes it can exert more control over our conditions of operation, even so far as to move the facility (see the current dispute over Arrowdale). At the moment, we do not cost the City money for operations, since we run our own budgets and meet their requirements.
- The City would decide if and when to make improvements to the club, or if and when to close it down.
- Since the City will want no financial losses, the annual fees to members could be increased.
- The City would likely decide the length of the season and hours of operation.
- The clubhouse, courts and greens may not be as easily accessible as they are now.
- It is unknown who would promote activities at the Club.
- It is unknown if the city would take over the junior camp program.
Welcome to the 2016 Season!
The season officially kicks off Saturday, April 30 with a joint Tennis and Lawn Bowling Open House from 10 am to 2 pm. Meet our court staff and Executive members. Light refreshments will also be available. Everyone welcome and play free the entire day.
Information regarding memberships and club activities will be provided and membership and junior tennis camp registrations will be accepted. New this year, your tennis and pickleball membership will grant you access to the entire facility so if you ever wanted play lawn bowling, you can now play for free!
The Dufferin Club is also offering FREE "Give it a Try" sessions throughout May. The sessions run weekend afternoons between 2 and 4 pm from May 7 to May 29. Free lawn bowling will be available both days, while tennis will be offered Saturdays and pickle-ball Sundays. Equipment will be provided, though you must wear flat, non-marking soled shoes.
Spring Clean-up a Success!
It was a perfect day for Dufferin's first ever Spring Clean-up. Nearly 40 tennis and lawn bowling members came out to enjoy the warm, sunny weather and help get the club ready for the upcoming season.
There was lots to do inside and out! From sweeping, cleaning, aerating and spreading sand over the greens; cleaning the kitchen, hall and washrooms; organizing the office and giving the floor a makeover; cleaning the shed, electrical rooms and sprinkler room; edging and weeding the lawn and patio stones; blowing off the courts; scraping and painting the net posts; and putting up the nets, windscreens and court divider.
Thank you to all the tennis and lawn bowling members and their families who came out to lend a hand. Fantastic job by all! Thank you to everyone who contributed food for the potluck - the lunch and snacks were delicious - and to those in the kitchen for setting up and cleaning up after lunch.
A big thank you to Paul Bakker for all his hard work throughout the day and expertise with the equipment. Special thanks to Parks and Recreation for letting the club borrow the city's blower, aerator, topdresser, dragmat, roller and garden tractor for the clean-up.
It was great to see so many people come out in support of the club and make the event a success. It was also a nice way to cap off National Volunteer Week. There are many individuals who volunteer a lot of their time and effort in keeping the Dufferin Club up and running - so thank you one and all!
Click here to view all the photos from the day!
All hands on deck! The Dufferin Club has scheduled a spring clean-up on Saturday, April 16 (rain date Sunday, April 17) at 10 am. We need everyone's help to get our club ready for the upcoming tennis and bowling season. Around 12 pm, there will be an eat and meet potluck lunch to discuss how to better the Dufferin Club, especially when it comes to promoting and marketing the club. It will also be your opportunity to share any other ideas on how we can improve the club overall.
Come down for friendship and fun, and get some exercise sweeping, dusting - strenuous or not - whatever you prefer. There will be lots to do. You can bring any food item for the potluck lunch.
Registration packages will also be available for pick-up during the clean-up, so even if you are unable to lend a hand, please stop by and pick up your registration packages.
Notice about Alcohol at the Club
The Dufferin Board of Brantford would like to remind all members of the club's policy regarding alcohol. Under the Dufferin Club's agreement with the City of Brantford, alcohol is not permitted on the premises without a special occasions permit from the LCBO, permission from the City and the presence of a representative from one of the boards/executives. Should these and additional requirements be met, alcohol can only to be consumed inside the clubhouse and not in public areas. The Board appreciates everyone's cooperation with adhering to this policy.
- Closing Party
Sat, Oct 15
Round Robin @ 1 pm
Clean-up @ 3:30 pm (weather permitting)
Awards and Meeting
@ 3:30 pm (rain or shine)
Come out and join us! There will be pies to enjoy during the awards presentation and meeting. Free for members!
- Dufferin Club
Annual General Meeting
Thurs, Nov 24 @ 7 pm
2016 Club Champions
- Singles - Ajay Sharma def Alex Bakker
- Singles Consolation - Manraj Brar def
6-7(6), 6-3, 6-4
- Doubles - Lee Hendon & Ajay Sharma def Alex Bakker & Aldo Pignotta 6-3, 6-0
- Doubles Consolation - Garry Horsnell & Rory Stubbs def Paul Bakker & Cody Dennis 6-4, 6-4
- Ladies Singles -
- Junior Open Singles - Tommy Karmiris
- Boys Under 12 Singles - Davis Antonowicz
- Girls Under 12 Singles - Bronwyn Vanstone
2015 Club Champions
- Singles - Adam Bakker def Brandon Armstrong 7-6(4), 3-6, 6-1
- Singles Consolation - Alex Bakker def Lee Hendon 6-2, 6-4
- Doubles - Ajay Sharma & Tom Varga def Brandon Armstrong & Brendan Ringrose 6-1, 6-2
- Over 40 Singles - Paul Bakker def Garry Horsnell 6-0 4-1 (retired)
- Over 40 Singles Consolation - Allan Rey def Rory Stubbs 8-5
- Junior - Austin Snyder
- Junior Girls - Amelia Jackson
- Pickleball - Alex Bakker & Paul Bakker def Alex Ostrovsky & Zsusi Trim
- Pickleball Consolation - Lee Hendon & Fred Winterbon def Brian Booth & Jean Young
2014 Club Champions
- Singles - Tom Varga def Brendan Ringrose 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
- Singles B Consolation - Paul Bakker def Zibby Niejadlik 1-6, 6-0, 6-1
- Doubles - Adam Bakker & Paul Bakker def Ron Beckett & Cody Dennis 6-4, 6-2
- Doubles Consolation - Dave Carter & Richard Eyre def Alex Bakker & Les Ringrose 6-4, 7-5
- Over 40 Singles - Tony Parpotta def Pete Pongrac 6-1, 6-1
- Over 40 Singles Consolation - Rory Stubbs def Frank Olenski 6-0, 6-0
2013 Club Champions
- Singles - Tom Varga def Lee Follis 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Singles B Consolation - Greg Archi def Pete Pongrac 6-2, 6-1
- Junior Singles - Michael Farrugia def Jackson Adams 8-4
- Doubles - Ajay Sharma & Tom Varga def
Lee Follis & Adis Medanhodzic 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-3
- Doubles B Consolation - Adam Bakker & Paul Bakker def David Cureatz & Cody Dennis
- Doubles C Consolation - Dave Carter & Richard Eyre def Murray Kwint & James Reyenga 6-4, 7-6(5)
- Mixed Doubles - Bev de Beer & Lee Follis def Anca Gaston & Ron Beckett 7-6(4), 6-2
- Mixed Doubles Consolation - Debbie & Adam Bakker def Sharon Hovestadt & Rory Stubbs 6-1, 6-2
- Over 40 Singles - Aldo Pignotta def David Cureatz 6-1, 6-1
- Over 40 Singles Consolation - Tony Lynch def James Reyenga
2012 Club Champions
- Singles - Lee Follis def Ron Beckett 7-6(4), 6-1
- Singles (B Consolation) - Lee Hendon def Paul Bakker 7-6(4), 6-2
- Singles (C Consolation) - Jim Wolski def Rick Gordon 7-6(5), 6-4
- Junior Singles - Alex Bakker def Sean Pugh 6-0, retired
- Doubles - Ajay Sharma & Tom Varga def Ron Beckett & Aldo Pignotta 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
- Doubles Consolation - Garry Horsnell & Peter Munzar def David Carter & Richard Eyre 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Over 40 Singles - Ron Beckett def Pete Pongrac 6-2, 6-0
- Over 40 Singles (B Consolation) - David Carter def Garry Horsnell 8-5
- Over 40 Singles (C Consolation) - Zibby Niejadlik def Jeff Armstrong 8-6
2011 Club Champions
- Singles - Brendan Ringrose def Lee Follis 7-5, 6-2
- Singles Consolation - Garry Horsnell def Paul Bakker 6-1, 6-2
- Doubles - Ron Beckett & Lee Follis def Brandon Armstrong & Adis Medanhodzic 6-0, 6-4
- Doubles Consolation - Jim Stephens & Gord Yuill def Les Ringrose & Bill Tsuchida 6-1, 6-1
- Over 40 Singles - Aldo Pignotta def Garry Horsnell 5-6 (retired)
- Over 4 Singles Consolation - Rory Stubbs def Tony Lynch 6-3, 6-4
2010 Club Champions
- Singles - Brendan Ringrose def Nick Parpotta 2-6, 7-6(3),
- Singles Consolation - Adam Bakker def Tony Lynch 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
- Doubles - Nick Parpotta & Dave Stewart def Leo Modi & Tony Parpotta 6-4, 6-3
- Doubles Consolation - Martin & Zibby Niejadlik def Adam Bakker & DJ Morrison 6-1, 6-1
- Mixed Doubles - Andrea Hebb & Brendan Ringrose def Anne Douglas & Leo Modi
4-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Mixed Doubles Consolation - Karen Blackmore & Lee Hendon def Joanne & Peter Munzar 7-5, 7-6(5)
- Over 40 Singles - Ron Beckett def Roger Taylor 6-4, 6-4
- Over 40 Singles Consolation - Garry Horsnell def Paul Bakker 6-1, 6-4
- Under 18 Singles - Lee Follis def Adam Bakker 6-2, 6-3
- Under 12 Singles - Alex Bakker def William Simpson 6-1, 6-0